Highlights of Thilo’s accomplishments include:
- Chairman of the Board for the National Investment Center for the Seniors Housing and Care Industries (NIC) from 2003 to 2005 and a board member from 1997 to 2005.
- Past member of the Board of Directors for the Assisted Living Federation of American (ALFA)
- Past member of the Executive Board of the American Seniors Housing Association.
- Recognized by Ernst & Young as the Florida Entrepreneur of the Year for 2007 in health care services.
- Member of YPO-WPO
- Member of Society of International Business Fellows
- Was a member of the Tampa Bay Host Committee for the 2012 Republican National Convention in Tampa.
Thilo D. Best
A founding Principal of Bayshore Retirement Living, Thilo Best has a lifetime of experience in the senior living industry. Thilo was the Founder, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Horizon Bay Realty, LLC (Horizon Bay) from 2001 until September 2011 when he sold Horizon Bay to Brookdale Senior Living, the nation’s largest senior living company. Horizon Bay was the ninth largest operator of senior housing units in the U.S. at the time of the sale. He served as Brookdale’s Chief Investment Officer until December 2011.
Prior to Horizon Bay, Thilo was Senior Vice President of Finance at Holiday Retirement Corporation, the second largest operator of senior housing units in the U.S., and later become Treasurer and a member of the Board of Directors and a partner in Holiday real estate ventures. He also held several positions at Prudential Insurance Company of America, completing his tenure as a Vice President in the real estate investment group.
Thilo has a Master of Business Administration from the Thunderbird School of Global Management and a Master of Science in real estate from Georgia State University. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Georgia.
Currently, Thilo serves as a Trustee for the Berkeley Preparatory School in Tampa and the University of Tampa.